Hurricane Katrina relief fundraisers in F-M area
Information about how North Dakotans can assist with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts by donating money or volunteering time or resources can be found on the North Dakota State Government Web site at www.nd.gov, the governor's Web site at www...
Information about how North Dakotans can assist with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts by donating money or volunteering time or resources can be found on the North Dakota State Government Web site at www.nd.gov , the governor's Web site at www.governor.state.nd.us and the Department of Emergency Services Web site at www.state.nd.us/des . Details are also available by calling (800) 773-3259.
Following are some of the scheduled Hurricane Katrina-related fundraisers:
- First Presbyterian Church, 2900 5th St. S., Moorhead, is conducting a clothing drive for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Used or new clothing may be deposited in waterproof collection containers near both doors of the church. Clothing is specifically designated for 3,000 citizens being relocated to Camp Ripley, a National Guard post near Brainerd, Minn. For more information, call Ginny Crawford at (701) 282-9713.
- Kohl's Department Store in Fargo, 4444 13th Ave. S., will be accepting gently used or new clothing, and cash donations, from Sunday to Sept. 14. Those making donations will receive 15 percent off their purchases that day. Donations are to be dropped off at the customer service counter in the store. For more information, call customer service at (701) 277-8277.
- Students in the Daily Living classes at Fargo South High School will be selling Krispy Kreme donuts in the school commons area Sept. 14 and 16. Donuts will also be sold at the Fargo South High School back-to-school night on Monday. People unable to attend, but who wish to donate, may mail checks payable to American Red Cross to the attention of Daily Living Classes at Fargo South High School. For more information, call Ruth Carnal or Rose Woodbury at (701) 446-2000.
- HOM Furniture, 4601 23rd Ave. S., Fargo, is accepting donations of bottled water, baby formula, diapers, hand sanitation products, toilet paper, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorants and other personal hygiene items. There is a bin in the front entry of the store. For more information, contact Doug Martin, Michelle Dahlberg or John Olson at (701) 282-8600.
- The ViQueens, a group of 25 women from Moorhead to Hawley, Minn., is organizing its Touchdown Challenge fundraiser to help people affected by Hurricane Katrina. The group is taking pledges based on how many touchdowns the Minnesota Vikings score in their first two regular-season games. Donors can also pledge a set amount. All donations collected will go to the American Red Cross. Donations can be sent to First National Bank Hawley or State Bank of Hawley. For more information, call Janet McEvers at (218) 483-4483.
- Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ, 901 Broadway, Fargo, is accepting donations at its 10:30 Sunday morning worship service to be designated to the Hope Shall Bloom Hurricane Recovery Fund. Donations can be made directly online at www.ucc.org/disaster/hopeshallbloom.htm .
- Kyle Martin, a senior at North Dakota State University, and other friends and members of Campus Crusade for Christ will be selling orange "Katrina Aid" wristbands between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday in the NDSU Memorial Union. Bands are $5 with proceeds going to the Salvation Army. Further information can be found at www.fmcru.com/katrina .
- Scoops Ice Cream & Sweets, Pelican Rapids, Minn., will donate all ice cream cone proceeds from 12 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 25, their final day of business for the season.
- There will be a brunch held from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 in the Luckason Room at Mayville (N.D.) State University. Donation checks can be made payable to Traill County Relief Fund. If unable to attend, checks may be sent to First and Farmers Banks in Portland or Mayville, both N.D. For further information, call Deb Kyllo at (701) 788-3765.
- Innovis Health and all Fargo-Moorhead Dakota Clinic sites are holding a supply drive until Friday, Sept. 16. Donations should unclude toilety items only. clothes donation will be turned away. Bring donations to the hospitality desk in the front entrance of Innovis Health and/or the reception area of any Dakota Clinic site. Items will be shipped to the city of Houston. For more information, call Tracie Popma at (701) 364-8048.
- The Days Inn & Conference Center, 600 30th Ave. S., Moorhead, is holding The Valley Cares Benefit for Disaster Relief on Thursday with proceeds to go to the American Red Cross. Events include a dinner at 4 p.m., an 18 and over comedy show at 7 p.m., and Kid Hollywood performing live from 9 to 11 p.m. A $10 donation is required for each event or $25 for admission to all three. For more information, call (218) 287-7100.
- PleasureLand RV Center locations in St. Cloud and Ramsey, Minn., and Fargo are accepting donations of non-perishable food items, bottled water and diapers through Wednesday. Donations will be sent along with over 70 travel trailers to FEMA to be used as temporary shelter for those who have lost their homes as a result of Hurricane Katrina. For more information, call Dan Pearson at (320) 251-7588.
- An area group of friends is organizing a musical fundraiser called "Katrina Mardi Gras," scheduled to be held Oct. 23 in the Fargo Civic Center. Organizers are seeking volunteers to do things such as take tickets, provide and distribute promotional materials and more. For more information or to volunteer, call June Renvall at (701) 238-5369.
- St. John's Parish, Wahpeton, N.D., is holding a Fish Fry from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 16. Food will be prepared by 4E's Catering, Wahpeton. For more information, call Betsy Sitz at (701) 642-6982.
- Culver's locations in Fargo are currently collecting money as well as food and clothing items for the American Red Cross. For more information, call Crystal Coalwell at (701) 232-9450.
- Detroit Lakes (Minn.) schools will be presenting a benefit concert on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Detroit Lakes Middle School. The concert will feature Doc and the Scrubs, The Front Row, Laker Singers, Laker Jazz and more. A freewill offering will be donated to the Salvation Army.
- J&R Vacuum & Sewing Center locations are accepting sewing machine donations. Machines will be reconditioned and distributed to the Gulf Coast region as well as in local disaster areas. In addition to donations, up to a $100 trade-in allowance will be given towards the purchase of a new Pfaff or Viking sewing machine. For more information, call Bertha Thomas at the Fargo location in JoAnn Fabrics at (701) 277-1158.
- YMCA AmeriCorps members and the Fargo-Moorhead Family YMCA School Age Programs have started "Race for Relief" to raise funds to help aid victims of Hurricane Katrina. Children in the programs have been asked to raise a penny for each mile between the Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo area and the New Orleans area. There area approximately 1,500 miles between the two areas, with each child raising $15. The project will run through Friday. For more information, call Ayla Donlin at (701) 293-9622.