In South Dakota, 14 COVID-19 deaths, active cases decline
Wednesday marked the second day state health officials have reported a daily decline in active cases of COVID-19, or the number of newly reported cases compared to new recoveries.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Fourteen South Dakotans have died with COVID-19, while the number of active COVID-19 cases in the state fell from the pandemic-long high for the second day, according to the South Dakota Department of Health on Wednesday, Jan. 26.
The 14 newly reported COVID-19 fatalities raise the state's death toll to 2,623, with 137 fatalities reported thus far in January.
Wednesday marked the second day state health officials have reported a daily decline in active cases of COVID-19, or the number of newly reported cases compared to new recoveries. Active cases fell 621 to 35,534. The daily count of COVID-19 hospitalizations also declined 27, to 396 from a 13-month high of 423 on Tuesday.
The following are the state Department of Health COVID-19 case rates, deaths, hospitalizations and vaccinations tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of Wednesday. All data are the latest available but should be considered preliminary and could be updated at a later date by health officials.
- INITIAL DOSE ADMINISTERED (IF 2-DOSE VACCINE): 650,648 people, 73.5% of state's population*
- FULLY VACCINATED: 518,744 people, 58.6% of state's population
- BOOSTER DOSE RECEIVED: 198,175 people, 38.2% of state's vaccinated population
*Note: The percentage presented here via the CDC differs from the state Department of Health percentage posted on its online dashboard, because the department's data indicates percentage of state population age 5 and older, not the state's total population.
Statewide case rates
- NEW CASES: 1,508 (seven-day daily average: 2,378)
- CURRENT ACTIVE CASES: 35,534
- TOTAL CASES: 222,880
- TOTAL RECOVERED: 184,723
- NEW HOSPITALIZATIONS: 39 (seven-day daily average: 57)
- ACTIVE HOSPITALIZATIONS: 396
- TOTAL HOSPITALIZATIONS: 9,845
- DEATHS, NEWLY REPORTED AMONG CASES: 14
- TOTAL DEATHS AMONG CASES: 2,623