Minot eighth grader wins 2019 ND State Spelling Bee
BISMARCK — Annaliese Rauschenberger, an eighth grader at Minot's South Prairie School, was declared the 2019 North Dakota State Spelling Bee champion Monday at the Ramkota Hotel.
Rauschenberger claimed the championship in the 19th round of the spelldown by correctly spelling "microbial." Her grand prize is a May 26 to June 1 trip to Washington, D.C., where she will represent the state of North Dakota at the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Her additional awards include a trophy, gold medal, Barnes and Noble gift certificate, wireless headphones and a Bluetooth speaker.
Five students were recognized for achieving perfect scores (50 of 50) on the spelling words portion of the written test:
- Chris Fleig, an eighth grader from Dickinson Middle School, representing Stark County, who was the state runner-up.
- Timi Shorunke, a seventh grader from Fargo's Ben Franklin Middle School, representing Cass County, who finished third overall.
- Chinmay Gopi, a fourth grader from Dakota Montessori School, representing Cass County.
- Andrew Fritel, a seventh grader from Killdeer Public School, representing Dunn County.
- Luke Wegner, a sixth grader from Our Redeemers Christian School, representing Ward County.