Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Montana killing has echoes of Dru Sjodin case

GRAND FORKS - The FBI knows that Sherry Arnold, the Sidney, Mont., teacher missing since Jan. 7, was kidnapped and is dead, but it hasn't located her body yet.

GRAND FORKS - The FBI knows that Sherry Arnold, the Sidney, Mont., teacher missing since Jan. 7, was kidnapped and is dead, but it hasn't located her body yet.

It's a case with echoes of the kidnapping and killing in 2003 of UND student Dru Sjodin.

On Sunday, the FBI named two Colorado men being held in Williston, N.D., as suspects in the Arnold case.

Deborah Bertram, spokeswoman for the FBI regional office in Salt Lake City, which includes Montana, released this statement: "Based on investigative evidence gathered over the last few days, it is believed that Ms. Arnold may be deceased. Her body has not been recovered."

Arnold, 43, grew up on a ranch near Sidney and had taught math for 18 years in the school where she had graduated. She went running in the early morning of Jan. 7 and her husband, school administrator Gary Arnold, who grew up near Dickinson, N.D., called police about 9:30 a.m. that day to report her missing. After hundreds searched for her, all that has been found of her was one of her shoes in a ditch along the route she typically ran.


The two suspects now face charges that carry a possible death penalty under Montana law.

Lester Vann Waters Jr., 47, and Michael Keith Spell, 22, are in the Williams County jail in Williston, on a hold from Richland County officials in Sidney, a jail spokesman said.

Both men are from Parachute, Colo., a town of about 1,000 on Interstate 70 about 150 miles west of Denver. Waters was arrested last week in Williston, and Spell was detained in Rapid City, S.D. They were brought to the Williston jail Friday and will be extradited to Montana to face aggravated kidnapping charges, Williams County Sheriff's deputy Jon Garrison told reporters.

Under Montana law, aggravated kidnapping carries a maximum sentence of death. Two men are on death row in the state; only two have been put to death in Montana since 1976, according to the state prison's website.

If Arnold was taken across the state line into North Dakota before she died, the case would become a federal kidnapping charge; federal kidnapping resulting in death carries a maximum penalty of death.

Bertram of the FBI said Sunday in an email to the Herald that her agency became involved in the case because Sidney is so close to North Dakota thata state line may have been crossed in the alleged crime.

Sidney, with about 5,000 people, is in the booming Oil Patch of the Williston Basin and is only a few miles from North Dakota, and about 45 miles southwest of Williston.

But the FBI made clear Sunday they -- and perhaps the two suspects -- don't know for certain if a state line was crossed in the alleged kidnapping.


The FBI put out a request for property owners in northwest North Dakota and northeast Montana to check vacant farmsteads for signs of disturbed soil where Arnold's body may be buried.

The FBI issued a statement late Sunday saying Arnold's body might be buried in an area with a line of mature or rotted trees, and the surrounding grass might be matted.

The FBI asked North Dakota property owners in Williams, McKenzie and Mountrail counties - all main oil producing counties -- and in extreme northeastern Montana, check such areas.

On Nov. 22, 2003, Sjodin, 22, was kidnapped by Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., now 58, of Crookston from the Columbia Mall parking lot. A registered sex offender, Rodriguez was arrested Dec. 1 and charged in North Dakota district court in Grand Forks with kidnapping. Neither North Dakotanor Minnesota has a death penalty.

Once Sjodin's body was found April 17, 2004, in a gully near Crookston, state charges against Rodriguez were dropped, and he was charged with kidnapping leading to the death of Sjodin in federal court in Fargo.

He was found guilty in 2006 by the same jury that then decided he should be sentenced to death, which sentence U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson pronounced in early 2007.

Rodriguez remains on federal death row in Terre Haute, Ind., and is appealing his sentence.

During his trial, his defense attorneys argued that because prosecutors could not prove Sjodin was alive when taken into Minnesota -- which would mean it was not an interstate kidnapping --- the case should not have been brought in federal court.


As part of his appeal earlier this year, Rodriguez's interviews with a psychiatrist were made part of the public court record, in which for the first time he, in effect, confessed to killing Sjodin.

It happened, argues his new defense team, during temporary insanity caused by post-traumatic stress stemming from Rodriguez' alleged childhood sexual abuse.

In the documents, the attorney argues Rodriguez was driving around with Sjodin in his car after attacking her in the Grand Forks parking lot and wasn't sure exactly when she died.

Part of the appeal's argument is that the trial defense attorneys failed to adequately make the case that Sjodin may have been dead before her body was taken across the state line.

Related Topics: CRIME
What To Read Next
Host Bryan Piatt is joined by Matt Entz, head coach of the North Dakota State Bison football team, to discuss the pressures of leading the program and how mental health is addressed with his players.
Artificial intelligence can now act as an artist or a writer. Does that mean AI is ready to play doctor? Many institutions, including Mayo Clinic, believe that AI is ready to become a useful tool.
Columnist Carol Bradley Bursack lists the various reason why some older adults may begin to shuffle as they age.
The Buffalo Bills safety who suffered a cardiac arrest on Monday Night Football in January is urging people to learn how to save lives the way his was saved.