Moorhead School Board to interview five for open position
The Moorhead School Board plans to interview five finalists Thursday for a spot on the board opening up next month. The district received 11 applications from candidates to replace Michael Thrasher, who has accepted a job offer out of state. The ...
The Moorhead School Board plans to interview five finalists Thursday for a spot on the board opening up next month.
The district received 11 applications from candidates to replace Michael Thrasher, who has accepted a job offer out of state. The applications didn't arrive until days before the Friday deadline.
"It was a little disconcerting," said Chairwoman Kris Thompson. "I am sure it just took them a while to get around to applying."
The finalists, all of whom have a history of involvement in the district or running for its board:
• Rebecca Blanshan, marketing and recruiting coordinator for Vogel Law Firm;
• Sonia Mayo Hohnadel, a former board member who works as communications coordinator and administrative assistant to the provost for Tri-College University;
• Laurie A. Johnson, representative on the district Superintendent's Advisory Committee and Instruction and Curriculum Advisory Committee;
• David Schuman, IT analyst and programmer for MeritCare Health Systems;
• Terri Bourcy Smith, legal assistant for Jeffries, Olson & Flom, P.A., and representative on the district's Instruction and Curriculum Advisory Committee.
Thrasher beat Blanshan and Schuman in last fall's board election.
Board members will interview finalists starting at 4 p.m. Thursday. Members might select Thrasher's replacement that night or wait to make a decision at their regular meeting Monday.
The new board member will be sworn in July 20 and serve through January 2011. In November 2010, Moorhead voters will elect a board member to serve the remaining two years of Thrasher's term.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Mila Koumpilova at (701) 241-5529