ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Park Rapids vet's hospitalization likely due to rare spider bite

Kal Handyside ended up at CHI St. Joseph’s Health in Park Rapids recently following an unusual reaction that may have been caused by a brown recluse spider.

BrownRecluseSpiderAdobeStock.jpg
The brown recluse is a venomous spider and may have been the cause of area veterinarian Kal Handyside's mysterious bite. The spiders are known for hiding in boxes and furniture, and the veterinary clinic gets packages from all over the country. (Adobe Stock)
We are part of The Trust Project.

PARK RAPIDS, Minnesota — Kal Handyside ended up in a Park Rapids, Minnesota, hospital this month following an unusual reaction that may have been caused by a brown recluse spider.

He and his wife, Amanda, took over as owners of Back Roads Veterinary Clinic near Park Rapids this spring.

“We’re not 100% sure it was the brown recluse spider, because we never found the spider, but that’s what I believe it most likely was,” Kal Handyside said.

Brown recluse spiders are not native to Minnesota, but are found in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and parts of Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska.

According to Wikipedia, these spiders “hitchhike'' by hiding in furniture, boxes and other items moved from infested structures.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We think it could possibly have come in one of our packages,” Handyside said. “For the vet clinic, we get stuff from all over the U.S. It’s creepy to know something like that could happen.”

Following a bite by this spider, a condition called loxoscelism develops. The area becomes dusky and a shallow open sore forms as the skin around the bite dies, which is called necrosis. This rare condition is hard to diagnose and uncommon in states where the spider does not normally live, like Minnesota.

The bite

072821.N.PRE.SpiderBite.jpg
At one point, the red spot on Handyside's leg had grown to the size of a softball and there were two necrotic spots on his leg. The tissue had turned black and had to be surgically removed. (Submitted photo)

Handyside said he didn’t feel a bite, but when he was done working July 14 he noticed an inflamed red spot on his leg that itched, and made an appointment to get it checked out the next morning. He thought it might have been caused by a tick bite or a skin infection.

“By then, the red spot had grown significantly and there were two dead necrotic spots the size of a penny on my leg,” he said. “The tissue had turned black.”

He was given an antibiotic, but the necrotic spots continued to grow, reaching the size of a quarter the next night.

“And the red spot had grown to the size of a softball,” he said. “It was painful, and I had body aches and a 103 degree fever. That’s when we went to the ER here in Park Rapids.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Treatment

Handyside was admitted to the hospital July 15, where he stayed until Monday, July 19.

“On Sunday, they did surgery to cut out the black, necrotic areas and put a drain in,” he said.

“After the surgery, it quit growing, and by Monday, the red spot that had been growing on my leg started shrinking and I felt better. The weird part was that after surgery, there was no pain where the black tissue was because the venom likely killed most of the nerves in that area. That’s the thing that most pointed to it being a spider bite.”

He said cultures from his blood and from the skin samples from the surgery came back negative. “They couldn’t test for the spider venom though,” he said.

Kal HandysideMug.jpg
Dr. Handyside

Recovery

Handyside said the area where they cut is already healing and looking much better. “In some cases, people need a skin graft if they have more of a reaction and more of their skin dies,” he said. “You have to put something over to cover the giant wound that can appear.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he is doing wound care at home to keep it clean and dry while going about his work, so it doesn’t become infected.

After closing the clinic for a week, he said things are pretty much back to normal.

“It was a little bit stressful for me and my family, and we’re happy everything turned out OK,” he said.

Related Topics: HEALTH NEWS
Lorie Skarpness has lived in the Park Rapids area since 1997 and has been writing for the Park Rapids Enterprise since 2017. She enjoys writing features about the people and wildlife who call the north woods home.
What to read next
When those first baby teeth appear, it's time to start teaching little ones about good dental health. In this episode of NewsMD's "Health Fusion," Viv Williams consults a pediatric dentist about when kids should have their first dental appointment and she shares tips on brushing.
Long road trips provide ample time for both reflection and rumination — the good and the bad of hours and hours spent behind the wheel. In this Health Fusion column, Viv Williams shares stories of a recent drive to Colorado and how a pit stop at a botanical garden's butterfly house made a faulty air conditioner tolerable and brought meaning to the buzz word "mindfulness."
Fargo Cass Public Health is celebrating National Immunization Awareness Month by offering back-to-school immunization clinics to get students ready for the school year. FCPH will hold two clinics on Aug. 17 and 18.
When you sprain your ankle or have an infection inflammation helps to heal tissues. But when inflammation is chronic, or long term, it can contribute to conditions such as heart disease and autoimmune diseases. Researchers have found a link between chronic inflammation and low levels of vitamin D. Viv Williams has details in this episode of NewsMD's "Health Fusion."