South Moorhead fire spreads from garage to home
MOORHEAD - Two adults and an infant escaped an early morning garage fire Saturday that spread into their home in the Village Green area of south Moorhead. Art and Nadia Bagdasarov fled the home at 3003 34th St. S., with their infant grandson. The...
MOORHEAD - Two adults and an infant escaped an early morning garage fire Saturday that spread into their home in the Village Green area of south Moorhead.
Art and Nadia Bagdasarov fled the home at 3003 34th St. S., with their infant grandson.
The fire started sometime after 5 a.m., said Art Bagdasarov Jr., who estimated that he left his parents’ home about a half hour before the fire started.
Art Jr. said his father woke when he heard a loud thud “and he opened the garage and saw two separate fires.”
Everyone got out of the home safely, Art Jr. said Saturday afternoon.
He added that his parents are now staying at a local hotel.
The Red Cross later said that they had provided food, clothing, infant supplies and shelter for the fire victims.
The home was heavily damaged, with the garage and a car sitting in it destroyed. Much of the roof and the upper floor of the home is charred with large holes smashed through so firefighters could knock down the flames.
The intense heat of the fire also bubbled the siding of the home just to the south of the Bagdasarov’s house.
Sayel Ali, a neighbor living at 3002 34th Ave. S., said he was awakened from a sound sleep by several thuds “like thunder.”
“The fire was so intense I could see the heat,” said Ali, who also took cellphone video of the blaze, in which the fire appears to have engulfed the garage and the front of the house across the street. Ali said he could feel the heat through a picture window in his home, which faces the Bagdasarov’s house.
“It’s amazing,” Ali said.
Fire captain Todd Church said the blaze remains under investigation.