'Star Wars' secrets revealed
No, The Rail didn't spend all day yesterday watching all 6 hours and 27 minutes of the "Star Wars Trilogy" released on DVD. It has better things to do, like trying to figure out who Elaine Stritch is. Instead, it opened up Entertainment Weekly to...
No, The Rail didn't spend all day yesterday watching all 6 hours and 27 minutes of the "Star Wars Trilogy" released on DVD.
It has better things to do, like trying to figure out who Elaine Stritch is.
Instead, it opened up Entertainment Weekly to find out the following secrets:
- Carrie Fisher (above, right) only got the role of Princess Leia if she lost 10 pounds before shooting began.
- Billy Dee Williams had trouble remembering his lines as Lando Calrissian.
- The trilogy's most famous line - "I am your father" - was never delivered on the set. David Prowse, the man behind Darth Vader's mask, said "Obi-Wan killed your father" to maintain secrecy. The line was dubbed in later.
Catchphrases of the year
According to the Web site www.languagemonitor.com , here are the top catchphrases from the 2003-04 TV season.
1. "You're fired!" from "The Apprentice"
2. "Mess O'Potamia" from "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart"
3. "Girlie men" from California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
4. "God" from "Joan of Arcadia"
5. "Wardrobe malfunction" from Super Bowl XXXVIII
"President Bush still continuing to lead in the polls. In fact when John Kerry was told the latest poll numbers, he called President Clinton again. Not for advice, just to make sure he had his vote. 'You're still with me right?' "
"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno"
"Top 10 Bush Tax Proposals" as read by Sen. John Kerry:
10. No estate tax for families with at least two U.S. presidents
9. W-2 Form is now Dubya-2 Form
8. Under the simplified tax code, your refund check goes directly to Halliburton
7. The reduced earned income tax credit is so unfair, it just makes me want to tear out my lustrous, finely groomed hair
6. Attorney General John Ashcroft gets to write off the entire U.S. Constitution
5. Texas Rangers can take a business loss for trading Sammy Sosa
4. Eliminate all income taxes; just ask Teresa (Heinz Kerry) to cover the whole damn thing
3. Cheney can claim Bush as a dependent
2. $100 penalty if you pronounce it "nuclear" instead of "nucular"
1. George W. Bush gets a deduction for mortgaging our entire future
"Late Show with
To contact The Rail, send an e-mail to features editor Dean Rhodes at email@example.com and he'll forward it to the responsible writers
Today's best bet
Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, 7 p.m., annual celebration of harvest features folk dances, music, martial arts, costume show and door prizes.
Flora Frick Hall, MSUM, Moorhead