Thousands expected at MSUM for July 4 celebration
Gwen Johanson is Minnesota State University Moorhead's star-spangled planner. As coordinator of the MSUM's annual Fourth of July celebration, Johanson arranges a party that has drawn an estimated 6,500 to 9,000 people in recent years. When the un...
Gwen Johanson is Minnesota State University Moorhead's star-spangled planner.
As coordinator of the MSUM's annual Fourth of July celebration, Johanson arranges a party that has drawn an estimated 6,500 to 9,000 people in recent years.
When the university hosted its first "old-fashioned" Fourth back in 1973, about 1,500 to 2,000 attended, according to Johanson.
MSUM budgets about $60,000 a year to put on the event, which Johanson described as a kind of thank-you.
"We appreciate the support of the community and this is our way of giving back, in a small way, to entertain and provide a family atmosphere for our residents in the area," she said.
The day leading up to the big fireworks display is filled with activities, including a performance this year by the 560th Air Force Band.
The band starts playing at 8:30 p.m. Monday and concludes about 10:30 p.m., when the fireworks kick off.
A parade will start at 12:30 p.m. in the area of Fourth Avenue South and 11th Street.
It will proceed down 11th Street and conclude near Ninth Avenue.
A children's decorated bicycle parade will start at 1:30 p.m. at the flag pole on the campus mall.
Numerous activities will be held on campus from 1-5 p.m., including games, a climbing wall, and stagecoach rides.
Ice cream, hot dogs, cotton candy and other food will be offered at old-fashioned prices.
Cartoons will be shown in Weld Auditorium at 1:10 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
Free parking is available on campus property. Street parking is also available between Sixth and Ninth Avenues, as well as 10th and 11th Streets South at the west end of the campus.
Parking is also available east of 14th Street, along Sixth Avenue South.
For more information, go to www.mnstate.edu/july4/
In addition to Fourth of July celebrations, the week is brimming with other summer activities.
Here's a taste of what's going on:
- Turkey Festival, Pelican Rapids, Minn.; classic car show, turkey racing, dances; Friday and Saturday; (218) 863-1221, or www.pelicanrapidschamber.com
- Polk County Fair, Fertile, Minn.; Wednesday through Sunday; www.polkcountyfairfertilemn.com
- Ft. Ransom State Park Sodbuster Days, Ft. Ransom, N.D.; music, food, pioneer crafts; Saturday and Sunday; (701) 973-4331
- Missouri River Bluegrass Festival, Cross Ranch State Park, Center, N.D.; Friday through Sunday; (701) 794-3731
- Tolna Days, Tolna, N.D.; dinner, auction, games, demolition derby; Friday through Sunday
- Phelps Mill Festival, rural Underwood, Minn.; food, music, crafts; Saturday and Sunday; (218) 739-5377, www.prtel.com/phelpsmill/
- Fargo Public Library, free movies, 12 p.m. and 3 p.m., Friday; (701) 241-1495
- Fargo AirSho; Hector International Airport; Saturday and Sunday; www.fargoairsho.com
Readers can reach Forum reporter Dave Olson at (701) 241-5555