Some random thoughts as I’m drinking my covfefe, and planning a trip to Yo-Semite National Park.
- I wish government agencies and the media would stop saying some of the victims who have died from COVID-19 had “underlying conditions.” It’s like saying that person doesn’t matter, and shouldn’t count. It’s insensitive to the victim and the victim’s family. The fact is, those people with underlying conditions would be alive today if it wasn’t for COVID-19, and it was COVID-19 that killed them.
- Just wondering what it will take for North Dakota Gov. Burgum to raise the state’s coronavirus designation from green or low risk to a higher level. New infections in the state are soaring, active cases are at record highs, North Dakota has been designated as a hot spot for the virus, and other states require North Dakotans to be quarantined if they visit those states. That sure doesn’t sound like state coronavirus conditions are at low risk.
- I’m still waiting for the cowards who wrote the ugly and erroneous LGBTQ resolution into the North Dakota Republican Party platform to come forward. The resolution didn’t write itself. Some of the Republicans now criticizing the resolution seem disingenuous. After all, Republicans in the legislature have killed every bill designed to protect the LGBTQ community. It all reminds me of the many trials and sentencings I have covered. Before sentencing, criminals usually say they are sorry for what they have done. In most of those cases, they weren’t sorry for what they did. They were sorry they got caught. The same holds true with the Republicans and this despicable resolution.
- As a reporter, a news director, and now a columnist, I keep my professional distance from political candidates. I will not donate to their campaigns, attend their events, put up lawn signs, and like their Facebook candidate pages.
- Excellent choice by Gov. Burgum to select Grand Forks natives Monique Lamoreux-Morando and Jocelyn Lamoureux-Davidson as the latest winners of the Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider Award. Monique and Jocelyn made us all proud, as they led the 2018 U.S. Olympic Women’s Ice Hockey team to the gold medal. Now, it’s time to select Fargo-Moorhead Acro Team founder and former coach Jim Simle for the award. Simle’s unique and uplifting team has thrilled millions of people around the country.
- Speaking of awards, it’s disgraceful that Rush Limbaugh received the Medal of Freedom. Limbaugh is cruel and divisive. He has made many rotten comments about African Americans, gay people, women, and the homeless. He called one woman a “slut” and a “prostitute” for supporting the Affordable Care Act. Limbaugh does not deserve an award that has been given to such outstanding Americans as Rosa Parks, Omar Bradley, Thurgood Marshall, Irving Berlin and Walter Cronkite.
- This pandemic will never end as long as knuckleheads attend events like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and concerts in West Fargo without wearing masks or social distancing.
- If you don’t like this column, it is what it is.