ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Letter: Where's the compassion for people bankrupt by ObamaCare?

I have been reading a lot of letters to the editor about how heartless it would be to repeal ObamaCare because, for example, 35 percent of school children are dependent on it for Medicaid. Medicaid has long preceded ObamaCare, but that program gr...

obamacare LTE.png

I have been reading a lot of letters to the editor about how heartless it would be to repeal ObamaCare because, for example, 35 percent of school children are dependent on it for Medicaid. Medicaid has long preceded ObamaCare, but that program greatly expanded it. What is sad is that the other 65 percent have parents helping pay for those children besides paying for their own children's insurance, which has had a big price increase since implementing the Obama Care program.

For say a 60-year-old self-employed couple, their health insurance cost has doubled or more since the implementation of the Obama Care program and the deductibles have gone up greatly as well. Where is the compassion for them?

The solution is always to tax the rich at a higher rate. The thing about is, say when a small business owner wants to sell out, that business he or she worked os hard to build, they have a once-in-a-lifetime high income, some of which will probably be taxed at over 50 percent when you take the state, federal, social security and medicare taxes. This was their retirement plan before they lost a lot of it to the compassionate government.

We occasionally help prepare a Saturday brunch at a homeless shelter and it bothers me when people walk through carrying a smartphone and a cigarette lighter in one hand and a food tray in the other. Food and shelter are necessities of life, but cigarettes and smartphones are not. They would adjust their priorities a little.

I know this is written by a heartless person, but I will give an example of a compassionate politician. Mark Dayton is very generous with the money taken from hard-working taxpayer, but the year he was elected governor of Minnesota he donated $1,000 to charity from his $360,000 income. That is less than one-third of 1 percent. Makes me glad to be a cruel conservative.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the six years following the implementation of Obama Care, our national debt increased by about 40 percent. At what point does the well run dry?

Before Obama Care was implemented, we didn't hear reports of huge numbers of people dying from lack of medical care. Maybe people took responsibility for themselves?

The truly poor will continue to have Medicaid, but it would help if less people leaned on the government programs which their neighbors have to pay for.

Nordick lives in Kent, Minn.

Related Topics: HEALTH
What To Read Next
The administration at Theodore Roosevelt National Park is bent on getting rid of the horses, which means getting rid of vital living history and a major draw to the park.
Fargo city commission hand-wringing over northside Red River crossing is short-sighted
The Minnesota State system request for $350 million in additional funding would freeze tuition and train more desperately needed workers.
Part of resistance to bridge connecting downtown to Red River lies with Fargo's perception