It seems that there are many people today who do a lot of complaining about tough and unfair it is to live in the U.S. and how deprived they are because we don't necessarily match all the social programs that are available in other western countries.
With the start of the new year, it might be a good idea to remember a few things about the great privilege of living in America.
• It is a country of unbounded beauty with almost unlimited natural resources.
• We have a judicial system that is the envy of the rest of the world.
• Food is so plentiful and cheap that overeating is a major problem.
• People complain about the press, but at least it is a free press not controlled by the government.
• There are many churches of your choice to pick from.
• There are many jobs available for those who want to work.
• We have the freedom to go anywhere, anytime, any place without checking with the government first.
• We have a super highway to travel on.
• We have by far the strongest military and economic systems in the world.
• We give away more money than the rest of the world put together to help others.
So, all of you non-stop complainers, radicals, protesters, and I might add - unpatriotic malcontents, what is your second choice for a place to live?
Tracy lives in Jamestown, N.D.