As one of the columnists attacked by Mr. Hulett in his recent rant, "Electing Biden by any means, at any cost," I have these facts to offer:
- Trump got almost 74 million votes and received 232 electoral votes. That’s a fine showing. I don’t hate Trump. I feel sorry for him and the 250,000 Americans (and counting) who have died from a preventable virus on his watch. He botched the federal response to a killer virus and still passively sulks like a spoiled child as Americans drop like flies. Trump is on tape with Bob Woodward saying he knew how dangerous the virus was. He lied to us, too, calling it “just like the flu.” This lame-duck President whom Hulett obviously admires urged Americans to inject bleach and swallow disinfectant instead of wearing a mask, keeping social distance, and washing our hands. Did you skip science in grade school, Mr. Hulett?
- Biden has received almost 80 million votes, six million more than Trump, and 306 electoral votes in a fair and free election. When Hulett falsely claims that Venezuela interfered in our election, I can only assume he gets his news from fact-free sources such as NewsMax, with headlines like “God Will Help Us Know Truth about 2020 Election,” and One America News Network, a far-right, pro-Trump cable network best known for promoting falsehoods and conspiracy theories that only a contestant on Trump’s Apprentice reality show would take seriously.
- Hulett apparently believes that the MSM (Mainstream Media) is against Trump. Far from it; his antics for four years have made money for MSM. They have respect for facts, however; it’s significant that Trump’s fanboys turned against Fox News when they reported accurately that Joe Biden is president-elect. Trump makes it up as he goes along. Why is that, Mr. Hulett? What does your charismatic rock star have against the truth?
- Trump is a man-child who uses lies and lawyers to get his way instead of facts and logic. Hulett repeats obvious falsehoods about voting machines days after Trump fired Chris Krebs, the head of election cybersecurity. Even Republican senators have called it a “A terrible mistake” (John Cornyn, R, Texas) to fire the man who accurately called the 2020 election “the most secure in history.”
- Fighting election lies is difficult when Trump himself uses the megaphone of the presidency to amplify falsehoods. If you’ve been deceived, as Mr. Hulett has, by Trump’s falsehoods repeated in Hulett’s column, I urge you to visit https://www.cisa.gov/rumorcontrol for the facts. Trump fired Krebs from an agency Trump himself created because Krebs posted this unarguable fact: “On allegations that election systems were manipulated, 59 election security experts all agree, "in every case of which we are aware, these claims either have been unsubstantiated or are technically incoherent."
You can throw a fanboy tantrum for Trump, Mr. Hulett, or you can accept the truth: democracy is working, despite claims to the contrary. It was a closely-contested election; Joe Biden won. If you’ve drunk the Kool-Aid, the antidote is truth.
Davis lives in Moorhead.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Forum's editorial board nor Forum ownership.