The level of anger and vitriol coming from the left on the Opinion page is concerning. Tony Bender in particular seems to be the quintessential character from ‘The Angry Man” by Phyllis McGinley. Even in the face of victory at the polls his anger is palpable in every word he puts to paper. Carrying that level of anger isn’t healthy mentally or physically for anyone. After his most recent rant about the evils of the right and Donald Trump, consider the following threats and acts against President Trump, his family and fellow conservatives.
- Madonna whined that the following comment was taken out of context. “Yes, I’m angry. Yes, I am outraged. Yes, I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House.” So, what was the context?
- Kathy Griffin holds up a bloodied, decapitated Donald Trump head up for cameras, as part of her comedy act.
- June 15, 2018, left winger James T. Hodgkinson fires 100 rounds at a Republican baseball practice injuring five, including seriously wounding Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La.. Shortly thereafter Nebraska Democratic Party Official Phil Montag was caught on tape saying “I’m glad that *&#$%#^@$&%# got shot (Steve Scalise), I wish he was *%^&#W$ dead”
- The next day in NYC a Central Park performance of Julius Caesar that played out the stabbing of a Donald Trump look alike. (Wonderful modern-day interpretation of the classic)
- Days later actor Peter Fonda threatened 11-year-old Baron Trump by saying “We should rip Barron Trump from his mother’s arms and put him in a cage with pedophiles and see if mother will stand up against the giant #%@###& she is married to…”
- From Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., “And so, let’s stay the course…Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up and if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
- Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., August 2020, said, “You know, there needs to be unrest in the streets for as long as there’s unrest in our lives.”
- Or how about Obama Attorney General Eric Holder at a rally for gubernatorial candidate Stacy Abrams saying, “Michelle [Obama] always says ‘When they go low, we go high,'” Holder told the crowd. “No. No. When they go low, we kick them…”
- And the image of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., tearing the State of the Union speech to shreds behind Trump’s back was certainly not incendiary to anyone? It would be interesting to see the Democratic response were a Republican to reciprocate the disrespect to President Biden.
Before we wrap ourselves in the blanket of moral superiority, let's understand that every argument has two sides. When you make your point by sticking your finger in somebody’s chest, expect they’ll poke you back. It doesn’t have to work like that.
"I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
"There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong"
Lyrics from “For What it’s Worth” by Buffalo Springfield 1966
Greg Holmes lives in Detroit Lakes, Minn.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Forum's editorial board nor Forum ownership.