Gophers report: Luke Loewe heating up from long range
Loewe’s 17 made threes in February are the second-most in the Big Ten, behind only Iowa’s Jordan Bohannon (18).
No. 13 Wisconsin at Minnesota
8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022
Luke Loewe exploded for six threes and 24 points against Northwestern on Saturday, continuing an impressive month of shooting from behind the arc.
Largest Increase in 3PM, Pre-February vs. February - 2021-22
(Major Conference Players, Min. 5 total 3PM)
- Ithiel Horton, Pitt +11
- Bo Hodges, Butler +6
- Jared Bynum, Prov +5
- Luke Loewe, Minn +4 (Feb- 17, Pre-Feb- 13)
- Rodney Chatman, Vandy +4
Loewe’s 17 made threes in February are the second-most in the Big Ten, behind only Iowa’s Jordan Bohannon (18). Fellow Gopher Jamison Battle is third with 16 made threes.
Additional team and player notes
● Minnesota made eight three-pointers in the first half of its 77-60 victory over Northwestern on Saturday. It was the most threes in a first half of a Big Ten game for the Gophers since making nine against Iowa in the 2013-14 season.
● Against the Wildcats, Jamison Battle had 21 points to go with career highs in rebounds (14) and assists (five). Prior to Saturday, the last Gopher to hit all three of those stats in the same game was Joel Przybilla against Iowa on January 12, 2000.
● Since the turn of the century, Wisconsin is 31-9 against Minnesota, outscoring the Gophers by an average of 6.1 points per game in that time. In the 17 meetings prior to the year 2000, the Badgers lost 11 times.
● The Badgers are averaging 11.1 assists per game, lowest in the Big Ten and on pace to be the team’s lowest average this century. The last time a Big Ten team had such a low assists average for a whole season was Rutgers in 2017-18 (9.8).
● Johnny Davis needs two rebounds against Minnesota to become the sixth Big Ten player in the last 25 seasons to have 500+ points and 200+ rebounds through his first 25 games of a season.