Metro high school soccer preview capsules
Boys Fargo North - Coach: Casey Tidd (second year) - 2004 recap: Fourth place at the North Dakota state tournament, third place at the East Region tournament - Who's gone: Genna Patselov, Brandon Hellevang - Who's back: Nick Klenow, Sr., MF; Joe ...
- Coach: Casey Tidd (second year)
- 2004 recap: Fourth place at the North Dakota state tournament, third place at the East Region tournament
- Who's gone: Genna Patselov, Brandon Hellevang
- Who's back: Nick Klenow, Sr., MF; Joe Wonderlich, Sr., D; Andy Reberg, Sr., MF; Lucas Teske, Sr., MF; Joe Solberg, Sr., GK; Alex Anderson, Sr., GK; Aaron Nelson, Sr., D; Andy Sprague, Sr., F
- Team notes: Tidd can't help but hide his excitement. After all, the Spartans return 16 letterwinners from last seasons North Dakota state fourth-place finisher. Heading into last season, North had only four returners. "I'm pretty excited about this year," Tidd said. "It's good to have those key guys back." ... Although Tidd admits he's not big on making predicitions, with all the returning players from last year's team that finished fourth at the North Dakota state tournament, the second-year coach is hoping for improvement. "My biggest goal is to make it to the state tournament. That's why I'm really excited," Tidd said. ... Goalkeepers Alex Anderson and Joe Solberg split time at the position last year and the plan is to have them do the same this season. ... Reberg was an all-state second team selection last season. ... Patselov was an all-state first team pick in 2004 and is
- Coach: Kevin Roos (fourth year)
- 2004 recap: 4-8-5, fell short of state tournament
- Who's gone: Matt Nygard, G; Mike Bittner, D; Josh Bergerson, D; Ross Urugbezi, D; Andrew Fritz, F; Conor Kennelly, F
- Who's back: Marc Herrie, Sr., CMF; Daniel Cruz, Sr., CMF; Ryan Sorby, Sr., OMF/F; Miko Elias, Jr., F; Phil Bruckbauer, Jr., CMF/F; Drew Glogoza, So., D; Evan Wolff, So., D
- Team notes: Coach Kevin Roos is excited about the players returning this season. ... "We are fortunate to have all of our leading scorers back and they are in top shape. ... Roos said he expects goalkeepers Greg Thelen and Bob Traynor to split time this season. ... Michael and Thomas Jordan will be filling some of the defensive roles. ... The team's depth is a concern, but Roos doesn't expect that to hold the team back. "Even though we do not have the depth that the bigger schools have, we still have the talent to compete with them," Roos said. "Our biggest goal this year is to clinch a spot to advance to the state tournament."
- Coach: Dean Hashbarger (fourth year)
- 2004 recap: Second place at the EDC tournament, North Dakota state champions
- Who's gone: Lee Doeden, Justin Foss (EDC Player of the year), Jeff Gunkelman, Ben McLean, Paul Neuenschwander, Andy Christensen, Ronnie Albert, Jon Knopf
- Who's back: Petter Eriksmoen, Sr., G; Alex Jorgensen, Sr., G; Scott Gabrielson, Sr., MF; Alex Williams, Sr., MF; Tyler Rawlings, Sr., D; Josh Hammerling, Jr., D; Brandon Mauch, Sr., D; Dan Peterson, Jr., MF; Bobby Fyal, Sr., MF; Jordan Sauvageau, Sr., F; Adel Mergoum, Sr., F; Adam Kotchian, Sr., F; Alex Dahl, Jr., MF
- Team notes: After winning last years North Dakota state championship, Hashbarger is very excited about the upcoming season. With 14 players returning from last year Hashbarger has high expectations for his team. "I think with the talent we have, we are onne of the top teams in the east," Hashbarger said. The Bruins lost seven players including Justin Foss who was the EDC player of the year last year. Alex Williams who made all-state second team last year will be returning. "I have high expections of the players," Hashbarger added. "They also have high expectations for themselves."
- Coach: Doug Millar (seventh year)
- 2004 recap: Fourth place in East Region tournament, lost out in state tournament pool play
- Who's gone: Jon Kuik, Jason Muller, Brandon Teets
- Who's back: Tyson Weatherly, Sr., D; David Goebel, Sr., D; Dustin Gregory, Sr., D; Josh Issertell, Sr., MF; Justin Ragen, Sr., D; Dan Savage, Sr., F; Thor Thompson, Sr., MF; Mergin Vllahiu, Sr.; F; Kyle Walerius, Sr., D; Gerrit Haerter, Jr.; MF; Tito Lafta, Jr., MF; Kevin McLean, Jr., MF; Aaron Redenius, Jr. , F; Ryan Salter, Jr., F; Joe Glarum, So., D; Nathan Kuik, So., K; Tom Mrozla, So., F; Mike Schnepf, So., MF; Bashir Mohamud, So., F; Artan Vllahiu, So., MF
- Team notes: The Packers lost three of their top players including all-state first-team selections Kuik and Teets and two-time all-East Region selection Muller. However, Millar is expecting a large senior class to help out the Packers' underclassmen. "I want the mental toughness from the senior class and the captains to be carried down to the younger class," Millar said. He also added that one of the main expectations for the team is that they qualify for state. ... Weatherly was an all-East Region first team pick last season.
- Coach: Tim Costello (11th year)
- 2004 recap: 7-10-3, reached Minnesota Class 2A, Section 8 semifinals
- Who's gone: Casey Nord, Robert Tungseth, James Krajsa, Justin Heinze, Ryan Posch, Zach Stordahl, Brady Dickelman, Ben Bruhn, Neshvan Abddullah, Tyler Spriggs, Matt Kollitz
- Who's back: Brock Spandl, Sr., D; Cole Nirschl, Sr., F; Chad Dewey, Sr., D; Garett Johnson, Sr, F; Dan Eggiman, Sr., F; Eric Juven, MF; Nathan Appel, Sr., D; Nick Peterson, Sr., MF; Andreas Nibler, Sr., MF; Devin Zelaya, D; Casey Murray, Sr., K
- Team notes: The Spuds are getting ready to get into the mix for playoff success. "The squad is hoping and working to make this season one of the best we had," Costello said. ""Buffalo had a great run through the playoffs last season and will be pretty jacked up for competition again in the section." Costello also think that the other metro teams are looking pretty tough this year. "We look forward to the competition in the metro area," Costell said of the local talent.
- Coach: Sarah Graning (first year)
- 2004 recap: 15-3-1, reached Minnesota Class 2A state tournament
- Who's gone: Ashley Herold, Ashley Beutler, Rachel Johnson, Tracy Ritland
- Who's back: Liz Welle, So.; Tory Boyd, Sr.; Sarah VanNevel, Sr.; Tricia Vanyo, Jr.; Alicia Gilbery, Sr.; Sabrina Sam, So.; Cathrine Johnson, Sr.; Ashley Schlotseldt, Jr.; Quin Ryan, Jr.; Anne Boyd, So.; Gabriel Karlstrom, Sr.; Emily Dale, Sr.; Stacey Johnson, Jr.; Alexa Dewey, Jr.; Nicole Jefferson, So.
- Team notes: The Spuds will look to recapture last year's spark after winning a third consecutive Section 8 championship and losing to Wayzata 3-0 in the first game of the state tournament. But as of right now, no positions are finalized since the team is still in tryouts. "With a lot of returners, were looking for a good season," said Graning, who is replacing Scott Middleton. "We have a quick team." ... Section 8 lost two teams and is down to six teams this year. Graning believes it will have no effect on the Spuds. "We hope to be the leader of our section," Graning added. "We have a real solid strong team." Ryan scored 36 points last year, while Vanyo added 25. Both finished in the top 20 in the state. ... Herold, the Spuds most valuable player and all-state first team attacker, will play at St. Cloud State this season.