Minnesota State High School League announces new section assignments
The Minnesota State High School League announced new section assignments for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 school years. Here are some takeaways for area teams:
- Monticello-Annandale-Maple Lake boys hockey has moved back to Class 2A, Section 8 with Moorhead. M-A-ML lost in the Class 1A state championship this season.
- St. Cloud Apollo is leaving Class 5A, Section 8 with Moorhead for Class 4A, Section 8 for football, so the Spuds have just four other teams in their section in Alexandria, Bemidji, Brainerd and Sartell-St. Stephen.
- Ottertail Central has gone from Class 2A, Section 6 to Class 1A, Section 6 in football.
- Pelican Rapids has gone from Class 2A, Section 8 to Class 1A, Section 6 for football, girls basketball and boys basketball.
- Moorhead Park Christian is currently listed as going from Class 9-man, Section 6 to Class 1A, Section 6, but that must be a mistake, seeing as the Falcons forfeited last season due to low numbers. After talking to his athletic director, Falcons football coach Lawton Burgstahler said the list is not right and the Falcons are still in Class 9-man.
Visit http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/newsectionassignments.asp to see all assignments.