DNR webinars, shooting sports events coming up on Outdoors Calendar
To get an event in the Outdoors Calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
- May 23: Prescribed Fire Workshop, 8 a.m., Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center, 8711 37th St. SE, Jamestown, N.D. Full-day workshop includes classroom instruction and a hands-on prescribed fire. Register at bit.ly/NDPrescribedFire2023. Participants should wear 100% cotton clothing, closed toe leather boots, leather gloves and eye protection to participate in the live fire. Participants should also bring their own lunch; water will be provided. For more information, contact Kelli Kuska at email@example.com.
- May 27: Second Annual Nome Schoolhouse Birding Retreat, sponsored by Audubon Great Plains and the Nome Schoolhouse. Birding begins "bright and early" Saturday, May 27. Participants are encouraged to spend the previous night in the renovated Nome Schoolhouse boutique hotel or just join for the day May 27. Registration is $185/person, which includes two meals, snacks, coffee and water, provided by the Nome Schoolhouse, and materials for crafting. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Audubon Great Plains. Info: Amanda Booher, Audubon, (937) 474-7509 or Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 23: 47th Annual Devils Lake Chamber Walleye Fishing Tournament, Grahams Island State Park on Devils Lake. Entry fee $275 per team, with a $6,500 guaranteed first place prize. Rules meeting June 22; June 24 will be used as an optional fishing day in case of bad weather June 23. Applications/info: devilslakend.com or (800) 233-8048.
- Aug. 11-12: Catfish Capital Challenge Catfish Tournament, Red River in Drayton, N.D. Fishing hours are 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., and anglers must be in the weigh-in line by 3 p.m. Registration and rules meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Aug. 10 online and at Johnny Bravos in downtown Drayton; entry fee $300. Info: catfishdrayton.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars this winter and spring. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at
. Webinars also are recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
- May 24: Monarch butterfly conservation. Experts from the Monarch Joint Venture will discuss what is being done for monarchs in North America and how to take part in Minnesota (or wherever you are).
- May 31: Muskie diet secrets revealed. DNR fisheries experts Brian Herwig, Jim Wolters and Kamden Glade will share the results of their recent research projects providing new insights on the diets and ecology of Minnesota muskellunge and related fishing tips to help anglers hook Minnesota’s top predator this year.
For more information on any of the black powder shooting events below, check out the
Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloader Club's Facebook page
or send an email to email@example.com.
- June 9-11: Hangfires 47th Annual Rendezvous, Bemidji.
- June 18-24: High Plains Regional Rendezvous, Hughes Draw, Black Hills, S.D.
- July 15-16: Bearclaw Muzzleloaders Annual Rendezvous, Height of Land, Minn.
- Aug. 5-6: Coon ‘n Crockett Muzzleloaders Shoot, East Grand Forks.
- Aug. 18-20: Lake Country Mountaineers Black Powder 43rd Annual Rendezvous, Perham, Minn.
- Sept 22-24: Plainsmen 50th Anniversary Shoot & Rendezvous, Georgetown, Minn.