Grand Forks Ducks Unlimited banquet, Northwest Angle Buoy Bash, coming up on Outdoors Calendar
To get an event in the Outdoors Calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
- Aug. 19: Kids Fishing Friday, 9 to 10 a.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at email@example.com.
- Aug. 19: Archery in the Parks, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 20: Kids' Fishing at Ludlow Pond, 10 to 11 a.m., Big Bog State Recreation Area, north of Waskish, Minnesota, on state Highway 72. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at email@example.com.
- Aug. 22: Public meeting to discuss finding of CWD in Climax area of northwest Minnesota, 6 to 8 p.m., University of Minnesota Crookston Bede Ballroom, 2900 University Ave. Info: mndnr.gov/CWD .
- Aug. 22: Public meeting to discuss CWD in North Dakota, 7 p.m., Fargo Holiday Inn, 3803 13th Ave. S. More info: gf.nd.gov.
- Aug. 25: Grand Forks Chapter of Ducks Unlimited banquet, 5:30 p.m., Alerus Center, 1200 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Tickets: ducksunlimited.myeventscenter.com/event/Grand-Forks-Dinner-61812.
- Aug. 27: Cast Iron Cook-off, 2 to 3 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Learn to cook over an open fire with a Dutch oven. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept. 3: Medicine from the Earth, 1 to 3 p.m., Big Bog State Recreation Area. Learn about the many medicinal plants that grow in the bog. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at email@example.com.
- Sept. 16: Northwest Angle Buoy Bash, Jerry's Bar and Restaurant, Youngs Bay on Lake of the Woods' Northwest Angle. Paul Menta and his wife, Crystal, of Key West, Florida, are scheduled to be on hand to culminate a fundraising effort for local schools in the northernmost and southernmost communities in the contiguous U.S. united by their buoys.
Sept. 16-18: Wild Outdoor Women weekend outdoor learning event, Lake Metigoshe State Park, N.D. Primarily for women age 16 and over, WOW offers the opportunity to learn and improve upon numerous outdoor recreational skills, including canoeing, kayaking, archery, Dutch oven cooking, yoga, guided mountain biking, fly-fishing and more.
Registration opened Aug. 3 and continues through Aug. 24 or until sessions are full. More info on sessions and rates is available at parkrec.nd.gov.
- Aug. 20: Great Planers Trout & Salmon Club 36th Annual Trout & Salmon Derby, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. CDT, Sakakawea State Park, Pick City, N.D. Rules meeting 7 p.m. CDT Aug. 19, Sakakawea State Park main shelter. Entry fee $30 per team. Info: Blair Ihmels, (701) 319-1267.
- Oct. 15: 12th annual Chili Bowl Walleye Tournament, Border View Lodge near Baudette, Minn. Entry fee $75 per two-person team; maximum 75 teams. Info: borderviewlodge.com.
- Aug. 19-21: Lake Country Mountaineers Black Powder Club 42nd annual rendezvous, Pioneer Grounds near Perham, Minnesota. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept. 23-25: 49th annual Plainsmen Black Powder club shoot and rendezvous, original Hudson Bay Trading Post site near Georgetown, Minnesota. Directions/info: Mark Roster, president, (701) 799-0980; Dave Zaeski, vice president, (701) 367-6811; or email@example.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars this summer. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at
. Webinars also are recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
- Aug. 17: Clay target shooting for beginners. Sheri Brengman, DNR Becoming an Outdoors Woman program volunteer steering committee member and instructor, will talk about trapshooting basics and other clay target games.
- Aug. 24: Early goose season. Dave Trauba, DNR wildlife manager, will discuss early season hunting opportunities for geese and provide tips on how and where to bag the birds.
- Aug. 31: Hunting ammunition options and tips. Kraig Kiger, DNR shooting sports coordinator, will talk about hunting ammo and options for different game, lead alternatives and other tips to consider when buying ammunition.