Minnesota state boys golf: Fertile-Beltrami captures Class A title
Rylin Petry was the individual runner-up in Class A to lead the Falcons.
BECKER, Minn. — Fertile-Beltrami shaved 14 strokes on Wednesday to retain its Day 1 lead and capture the Minnesota Class A state boys golf championship at Pebble Creek Golf Club.
The Falcons shot a 309 as a team in Wednesday's final round, giving them a 632 two-day total, 30 strokes ahead of second-place Marshall School Duluth.
Rylin Petry was the individual runner-up in Class A to lead the Falcons. He shot a 72 on Wednesday after an opening-round 75 for a tournament total of 147. New Life Academy of Woodbury's Cole Witherow bested Petry by one stroke, claiming the medalist spot with a two-day total of 146 (73-73).
Fertile-Beltrami had three more individuals in the top 20 to propel the Falcons to the top of the podium. Ethan Finseth tied for 14th with a two-day score of 159 (81-78). Masen Nowacki knocked six strokes off his first-day total to shoot a 78 on Wednesday, tying him for 16th at 162 (84-78). Caiden Swenby tallied rounds of 83 and 81 for a 164, tying him for 20th place.
Moorhead Park Christian placed sixth as a team with rounds of 355 and 347 for a tournament total of 702. Tanner Doeden placed 32nd to pace Park Christian. He shaved three strokes off his first-day 86 with an 83 on Wednesday to put him at 169 total.
Park Christian's Andrew Ysteboe shot a 177 (88-89) to place tied for 48th. Ryan Nelson tied for 53rd (92-88—180), while Colin Kerrins (94-87—181) and Blake Iverson (89-92—181) tied for 55th. Spencer Lindell had a dramatic improvement from Day 1. He bounced back from a first-round 122 to card an 89 on Wednesday.
Spuds' Kortan ties for 44th, Lammers ties for 54th
In the Class AAA tournament played at Bunker Hills in Coon Rapids, Moorhead's Joe Kortan tied for 44th place to lead a duo of Spuds.
Kortan was two shots off the lead entering Wednesday after Tuesday's 72. Kortan carded an 85 on Wednesday for a two-day total of 157. Teammate Easton Lammers shaved eight strokes off his Day 1 84, tallying a 76 on Wednesday for a tournament total of 160.
Perham's Belka 3rd in AA
Marcus Belka of Perham had a strong second Day at the Class AA tournament at Ridges at Sand Creek in Jordan.
Belka notched a five-stroke improvement from Day 1, carding a 70 on Wednesday to tie for third place (75-70—145). Sam Udovich of St. Croix Lutheran Academy earned the medalist spot, shooting a 71 both days for a 142. Southwest Christian's Jacob Ferrin (71-73—144) edged Belka by one stroke for the runner-up spot.
Fergus Falls' Ryan Nelson improved by nine strokes on Wednesday, cracking the top 30. Nelson carded a 75 on Wednesday after an opening-round 84 for a tournament total of 159, good for a tie at 29th. Teammate Riley McGovern tied for 45th (81-82—163).
Jack Justesen of Hawley tied for 49th, shooting an 82 on both days for a 164.
1. Fertile-Beltrami 323-309—632; 2. Marshall School Duluth 329-333—662; 3. Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa 341-339—680; 4. Lakeview 336-346—682; 5. United South Central 341-362—703; 6. Moorhead Park Christian 347-355—702; 7. New Life Academy of Woodbury 354-360—714; 8. Rushford-Peterson 366-391—757
Medalist; area individuals
1. Witherow, New Life Academy, 73-73—146; 2. Petry, Fertile-Beltrami, 75-72—147; T5. Carlin, Fosston, 78-76—154; T14. Finseth, Fertile-Beltrami, 81-78—159; T16. Nowacki, Fertile-Beltrami, 84-78—162; T20. McMullen, Mahnomen-Waubun, 85-79—164; Swenby, Fertile-Beltrami, 83-81—164; T25. Engel, Ada-Borup, 85-80—165; 32. Doeden, Park Christian, 86-83—169; T33. Ivanov, Fertile-Beltrami, 86-84—170; T37. Sorenson, Fertile-Beltrami, 85-87—172; T48. Ysteboe, Park Christian, 88-89—177; T53. Nelson, Park Christian, 92-88—180; T55. Kerrins, Park Christian, 94-87—181; Iverson, Park Christian, 89-92—181; T81. Lindell, Park Christian 122-89—211
1. Pine Island/Zumbrota-Mazeppa 309-307—616; 2. Holy Family Catholic 326-294—620; 3. Roseau 322-312—634; 4. Totino-Grace 320-320—640; 5. Cloquet 332-309—641; 6. New London-Spicer 331-312—643; 7. Pequot Lakes 316-330—646; 8. Blake School 343-326—669
Medalist; area individuals
1. Udovich, St. Croix Lutheran, 71-71—142; T3. Belka, Perham, 75-70—145; T29. Nelson, Fergus Falls, 84-75—159; T45. McGovern, Fergus Falls, 81-82—163; T49. Justesen, Hawley, 82-82—164
1. Edina 298-291—589; 2. Spring Lake Park 301-302—603; 3. Alexandria 304-308—612; 4. Chanhassen 309-307—616; T5. Lakeville North 304-315—619; Eastview 313-306—619; 7. Stillwater Area 327-299—626; 8. Princeton 330-323—653
Medalists; area individuals
1. Stevens, Northfield, 70-70—140; Rexing, Rosemount, 71-69—140; Wetzel, Edina, 70-70—140; T44. Kortan, Moorhead, 72-85—157; T54. Lammers, Moorhead, 84-76—157