WEST FARGO — A weekend cooking fire caused about $15,000 in damage to a home in West Fargo.

According to a release, crews responded to the call of an apartment fire at 3170 70th At. E., West Fargo at 10:39 a.m., Saturday, Nov., 21.

Upon arrival, crews discovered water coming out of an apartment unit. The resident of that unit was cooking with oil on the stove. The oil ignited and the resident moved the pan off the stove. The oil fire spread across the stove and on the rug in the dining area. The apartment complex was equipped with smoke alarms and a sprinkler system, which both activated. The sprinkler system extinguished the oil fire before it could spread any further.

Fire damage was minimal and the water damage was throughout the kitchen, dining and living area. Crews estimated fire loss to be around $15,000. No fire department personnel were injured and the resident sustained a burn on their hand, which was treated on scene by West Fargo Fire Department EMT’s.

“This incident is a great reminder to cook safely this holiday season and remember to review cooking safety reminders,” said Dan Fuller, Fire Chief. “Remember to be on alert, check food regularly and to always cook with a lid beside your pan.”